From Copywriter to Content Strategist
While other girls were dreaming of Barbie dolls, Krista’s proudest possession at 11 years old was a second-hand typewriter which she used to type up poems and stories.
At 16, she knew what she wanted to become – a copywriter! Back in the 80s, her teachers were puzzled because they didn’t know what a copywriter was!
Armed with her STPM results – 3As and 2Bs – she applied to Universiti Sains Malaysia to study Communication, drawing raised eyebrows from her lecturers because she could have qualified for law. She decided to fulfil a life-long dream to major in Journalism. A few years later, Krista returned to her alma mater to get her Master’s Degree in English Language Studies and Linguistics because she was itching for something interesting to do!
As co-founder and partner at Redbox Studio, Krista directs and manages the content strategy for the company as well as for their loyal clients. She is also involved in consulting, speaking, training and mentoring.
“My forte is in uncovering what businesses do best and writing about them with humanity and heart. Copywriting is truly about knowing marketing and psychology and using it for good. I love knowing that the words I’ve written for clients are helping them attract clients as well as search engines and give their businesses the added oomph,” Krista says.
“I get cross when I see sloppy language that’s called content on poorly designed websites. People need to respect content because content is powerful and persuasive when done right. The right stories can influence people and change lives and it can help small businesses market better!”
Co-Founder & Adviser of WomenBizSENSE
What do you do when you can’t find a group to meet your needs? Well, you set one up!
That’s how Krista co-founded WomenBizSENSE in 2006, an association for women entrepreneurs with her good friend, Josephine. She was its president from 2012 to 2016 and did not seek re-election because she wanted to let other women rise in the organisation as leaders. She, however, remains its adviser.
For her work, Krista was one of the 18 Malaysian women nominated for the Great Women Of Our Time Awards in 2008 organised by The Malaysian Women’s Weekly magazine.
“I’ve always been involved with women and women’s issues, even as an undergraduate,” Krista acknowledges. “I’m a big feminist at heart!”
In 2009, after meeting the founder of the Pixel Project, Regina Yau, she spearheaded Redbox Studio’s pro bono involvement in the design and development of the international website for The Pixel Project – a global campaign aimed to raise awareness about violence against women.
Optimist at Heart
Marketing, Tech & Entrepreneurship
She calls herself an “accidental entrepreneur” because she never dreamt of being one! She got into business because she didn’t want to go back into employment after she graduated with her Master’s degree.
While figuring out her next step, she began helping Nic with the web design and marketing business and soon realised she enjoyed helping business owners understand online marketing.
In no time, organisations started inviting her to speak about marketing, technology and entrepreneurship. Since 2006, she has spoken at:
- 2006 & 2007 KDU College – Speaker
- 2008 Penang Tech Conference – Speaker
- 2011 Global Entrepreneur Week – Panellist
- 2012 MAD Incubator DARE Biz Start – Panellist
- 2012 USM Industry & Community Advisory Panel – Speaker
- 2014 Penang Skills Development Centre Women’s Forum – Moderator
- 2015 Penang Institute Women & Work Forum, Panellist
- 2015 The Incitement, Speaker
- 2016 Piktochart -WebCamp, Speaker
- 2016 INTI University College – MBA class – Speaker
- 2016 Women Entrepreneur ROCK Day – Organising Committee & Moderator
- 2016 Women Entrepreneurship Seminar (under YB Yap Soo Huey/Pulau Tikus) – Speaker
- 2017 Penang Women Chamber of Commerce – Keynote speaker
- 2017 Malaysian Catholic Campus Students’ Day – Speaker
- 2017 Women Entrepreneur Night (Scoopoint) – Speaker
- 2018 KDU Best Business Competition – Judge
- 2018 Startup Georgetown – Mentor
- 2018 Women In Economy Conference – Organising committee & lead facilitator
- 2018 Startup Stories – Panellist
- 2019 MBA class, INTI University College – Guest lecturer
- 2019 Ecommerce Discussion, Women Netpreneur – Moderator
- 2019 Women leadership workshops for Jawatankuasa Pembangunan Wanita & Keluarga – Facilitator & Module Creator
- 2019 Women leadership workshops for Majlis Pengurusan Komuniti Kampung (MPKK) – Facilitator
- 2019 Training of Trainers for MPKK under Penang Women’s Development Corporation – Trainer
- 2019 Changing Faces Women’s Leadership programme by East-West Center, Hawaii – Malaysia scholarship recipient
- 2019 Women on Boards discussion, Gals With LEI, Hawaii – Moderator
- 2019 WomenBizSENSE Business Mentoring Programme – Mentor
In October 2013, she was among the top 30 women invited to Penang’s first ever Lean In @ Penang, a workshop based on the book “Lean In” by Sheryl Sandberg of Facebook. She became one of the facilitators for the second Lean In @ Penang workshop at Hard Rock Hotel in July 2014 and a Lean In Roundtable observer in October 2014.
She was also privileged to moderate a panel discussion which featured Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir at the Women’s Development Forum organised by the Penang Skills’ Development Centre in September 2014.
In 2016, she co-founded TSN Book Adoption Centre with Nic to prevent good books from being recycled while generating funds for charity. The project has been hailed as a Malaysian success story for other global Tzu Chi chapters to emulate, having raised RM100,000 to date for charity and saving thousands of books from being turned into scrap paper!
She was also a technical committee member for the Women In Economy Conference 2018 organised by the Penang State Government. Krista is a board member of the Malaysian chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators and a full member of the Malaysian Writers Society. In 2018, she was appointed director to the board for Penang Women’s Development Corporation.
Her story and her work have also been featured in the media. She was interviewed by eHomemakers.net (September 2004), The Malaysian Women’s Weekly magazine (July 2005, August 2009 & September 2012), Guang Ming Daily (March 2011 & July 2012), Malaysian SME (April 2014) and The Borneo Post (January & August 2017).
She is working on a book about Penang women leaders which is slated to be published this year (2019).
Connect with Krista
Together with Nic, she wrote and published their first book, Web Wisdom in August 2016.
She once had 14 hamsters, a parakeet and a snob of a cat called Margaret (the cat has since died of old age) and how she has Timah, another similar coloured tabby.
“Don’t take life too seriously. Always be good to yourself. You only have this one life.”