Deeply honoured that Redbox Studio was one of the two experts interviewed for The Borneo Post’s article in their Sunday newspaper titled “Social media: Feeding the frenzy” under the BizHive Weekly column.
The Borneo Post is the largest and most read English daily in Borneo (Sabah & Sarawak).
They wanted our views as online experts for their article on social media.
We’ve been designing, writing and managing clients’ websites for 19 years now and we have always advised clients that there is a major difference between a website and social media platforms.
Many start-up businesses make the mistake of only using Facebook as their online presence. This is a dangerous practice.
Ask yourself: does AirAsia only rely on social media? They may be super active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ etc. but when customers need to buy air tickets, they will always be led back to the AirAsia website! All transactions happen on their website.
What does this tell us? That even big businesses know that there are different functions when it comes to websites and social media.
So if you’re just relying on Facebook, it’s time to re-evaluate your decision. It may just be that you’re using the channel all wrong. If you want to know how best to use social media versus using a website, get our book, Web Wisdom.
Anyway, here’s a quick recap of what we have been saying about social media:
- Social media is great. We love using our own social media channels to promote our events, book and website solutions. In fact, we post daily on our Google+ and Facebook pages. Follow us if you’re on these platforms!
- Your Facebook page is NOT a replacement for your website. Both fulfil different functions. They don’t have the same roles and responsibility.
- In fact, if you want to be really smart, your website and your Facebook page need to work together. Think of social media as channels that help bring interested people into your headquarters.
- Your website is the headquarters for your business.
- Information that prospects and customers need to know about your business should ALWAYS be updated on your website first before you share the link on your Facebook page or any other social media channel.
- Don’t fixate too much on likes or followers. They don’t always translate into sales or revenue. It’s easy to “like” a page plus people follow your page for many reasons – they may be curious, they may be die-hard fans, they may want to learn more or they could even be your competitors checking up on your activities!
- If people don’t know you yet, use social media to create awareness. Once they know you, use social media to engage them.
- Engaging with them means creating conversations. Let them know you are a real person and yours is a friendly business!
- Most of all, use social media as an education platform to help your followers get smarter. If you want to be in the know about the latest news about online and digital marketing, follow us on our Facebook page.
See the full article at http://www.theborneopost.com/2017/08/06/social-media-feeding-the-frenzy/
Want to know how to really use your website to attract customers? Get our book, Web Wisdom! Get 2 free chapters to read right here.